Friday, April 25, 2008

Shirring

I don't know why it took me so long to discover shirring. Shirring, if you've never done it before, simply involves sewing with an elastic thread in your bobbin. For a simple girl's dress, 6 parallel lines about half an inch apart pretty much does it.I think I am going to try to make an adult sized top for myself next time. Here is a picture of two of the little girl's dresses and the third is an adult tank top that I made using the pattern for the flouncy top in the Sew Everything Workshop book. (Although the book got really good reviews on Amazon, I was a little disappointed. I've read a few sewing books without problems but I just can't seem to understand this one. Something about how she describes thing just doesn't jive with my brain.)

That bottom left dress that is going to be Kira's still needs some kind of strap or sleeve. I can't decide what I want to do. I can make spaghetti straps, halter straps or little "chicken wings" sleeves. "Chicken wing" sleeves is a direct translation from Cantonese. I don't know what those cute sleeves are called. Here is a picture of baby Kira wearing an outfit with that kind of sleeves. Will someone please educate me?

No comments: